Re: Last Call for Comments on " Legal Provisions Related to IETFDocuments"

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> How about adding some weasel words, or even simply making the
> attribution requirement a "should"?

I tend to forget the details, but IIRC we have a SHOULD for an
attribution elsewhere (not in the part about code).  If that is
very clear folks might arrive at the conclusion that it's also
*desired* for code snippets.  But not *required*.

> It's not like we're asking for much:

> # This code was derived from IETF RFC XXXX. Please retain this
> comment if possible.

Not fair.  We can't put code with similar statements in an RFC
in some cases, where somebody also didn't "ask for much", just
a beerware licence or copyright note or similar.  Therefore we
should also not "ask for much" from others if there's a chance
that this is too much.

 Frank