Re: New schemes vs recycling "http:" (Re: Past LC comments on draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08)

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Right, but there's a contradiction lurking here.  You probably
>> wouldn't bother to use URI syntax unless you expected fairly wide
>> utilization, or to benefit from the plethora of existing URI-parsing
>> and -resolving software.  The notion of wanting to use URI syntax but
>> simultaneously requiring a new scheme is often a symptom of fuzzy
>> thinking.
>
> Don't browser and OS libraries dispatch on URI scheme?  I guess it's
> probably not as easy to extend as adding a new handler for a new
> Content-Type, but it's at least possible for a new URI scheme to start
> appearing (in email, Web pages, local docs, etc)  and for the user to
> install an application which registers

Well, yeah, but a lot of the infrastructure is deployed on dumb
devices and, more important, if you stick to existing URI schemes and
use them properly, it All Just Works.

I know it seems like Those Web Guys Hate URI Schemes, and I get tired
of quoting http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-scheme at people, and I
admit being prejudiced by the fact that a high proportion of
new-uri-scheme proposals have historically been poorly-considered (not
all, see RFC4151).  But there's no getting around it: the cost of new
schemes is very high, if you want to be part of the Web.

  -Tim