Re: New schemes vs recycling "http:" (Re: Past LC comments on draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08)

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The TAG is in fact clearly correct when they state that introduction
>> of new URI schemes is quite expensive.
>
> To me it seems that this depends on the extent to which those new URI
> schemes are to be used in contexts where existing URI schemes are used.  New
> URI schemes used in new contexts or applications are not overly burdensome.

Right, but there's a contradiction lurking here.  You probably
wouldn't bother to use URI syntax unless you expected fairly wide
utilization, or to benefit from the plethora of existing URI-parsing
and -resolving software.  The notion of wanting to use URI syntax but
simultaneously requiring a new scheme is often a symptom of fuzzy
thinking.

And in the specific case of XRI, which seems designed as an extremely
general-purpose thing, the cost is clearly very high, so the benefits
need to be compelling.

> It should also be recognized that overloading URI schemes (as well as
> overloading HTTP) is also expensive, though in a different way.  The
> consequence of overloading is that functionality is reduced and
> interoperability suffers.

Got an example?  I'm having trouble thinking of any problems I've run
across that could be ascribed to this.  -Tim