Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

On 5 aug 2008, at 13:28, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

There is a point where certain legacy hardware is just not
going to cut it anymore and I don't believe that that is the
fault of the network team.

I respectfully disagree. I would claim that the problem is one of the
network team, as long as the hardware is standards compliant and not
something exotic. An IBM ThinkPad acquired three years ago running
Windows XP is still one of the most popular machines, it is carried by
many people and will continue to be carried for another two-three years.
As it is fully IEEE standards compliant and some kind of industry
standard (whatever this means) many people expect to be able to use it
at an IETF standards meeting.

What are the limitations of such a machine?

A year ago I replaced a four-year-old laptop that came with 802.11g built in. I don't think it would be unreasonable to turn off 802.11b support by now and set the multicast speed to 6 Mbps or more in order to make the 2.4 GHz band more usable.