RE: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

Lyman said:

> I'm familiar with <draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-10.txt> and understand
> the importance of using only FQDNs in SMTP exchanges given that "[i]n
> the case of a top-level domain used by itself in an email address, a
> single string is used without any dots." What I'm interested in is
> any reason to proscribe the use of a TLD as a single label hostname
> (particularly for email addresses) other than the fact that there is
> software out there that will interpret it incorrectly -

Potential problems with global use of single-label names go beyond SMTP.
For example,  RFC 4282, which defines the Network Access Identifier
(NAI), does not permit the use of single-label names. From Section 2.1:

   realm       =  1*( label "." ) label

As a result, someone purchasing the "example" TLD and using the NAI
bob@example in order to obtain access to the network, might well
discover that this would not work.