Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

Mark Andrews wrote:

> The Internet went to multi-label hostnames ~20 years ago.

As noted in RFC 2821 as "one dot required" syntax, also
mentioned in RFC 3696.  Recently *overruled* by 2821bis.

> No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld"; or "user@tld"
> to work reliably.

Certainly not expect, but some gave it nevertheless a try.
My bastard browser from hell let's me say <http://museum./>
(note trailing dot).

> I suspect there are still mail configuations around that
> will re-write "user@tld" to "user@xxxxxxxx".

They didn't note that RFC 2821 upgraded the 821 examples,
sh*t happens... <eg>

> Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and
> address records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a
> TLD zone?

No, there are enough TLDs disagreeing with this idea...

> Should we be writting a RFC which states that single
> label hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up
> "as is" in the DNS?

...the 2821bis Last Call ended months ago, and "one dot
required" was discussed long enough.  Change this again,
and I'll scream.

 Frank