Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:23:58AM +1000,
>  Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 32 lines which said:
>
> > 	No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld"; or "user@tld"
> > 	to work reliably.
>
> [Mark, you used non-RFC2606 names, the IESG will put a DISCUSS against
> you.]
>
> I agree but it is not the point: an email adress like
> bortzmeyer+ietf@xxxxxx is legal and works but not reliably (there are
> many stupid broken Web forms which refuse it and tell me it's not
> valid).
>
> http://example is legal and should work. If it does not, it may
> indicate a broken implementation.

	But where should it resolve to?  "example.example.net."
	or  "example."?  Under what circumstances?

> >       I suspect there are still mail configuations
> > 	around that will re-write "user@tld" to "user@xxxxxxxx".
>
> There are many broken mail configurations.
>
> > 	Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and address
> > 	records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a TLD zone?
>
> No. A TLD is a domain like any other and we should not write special
> rules for them.

	Names with and without dots already have different semantics.

> > 	Should we be writting a RFC which states that single label
> > 	hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up "as is" in
> > 	the DNS?
>
> I hate special cases.

	TLDs are already a special cases in so many ways.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx