Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 05:54:41PM -0700,
 David Conrad <drc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 41 lines which said:

> I'm suggesting it would be helpful if there were an RFC directing
> IANA to establish a registry that contains both labels and rules
> (e.g, no all-numeric strings, no strings that start with 0x and
> contain hexadecimal values, the string 'xn--', the 2606 strings,
> etc.) that specify what cannot be placed into the root zone.
>
> Would there be the downside to this?

There is one (regarding rules, not regarding labels): a TLD is a
domain like any other. It has nothing special, technically
speaking. Since IETF is supposed to work in the field of technology,
not politics, I would object to any registry that lays down special
rules for TLDs, besides the normal RFC 1034/1123/2181 rules (which
apply to every domain).

Reserving TLDs (like ".example") is a different thing: we don't create
new rules, we just use our privilege to get a TLD without paying
100,000 US $ to ICANN.