Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

Steve Crocker wrote:
> Naw.  The ISSN has to be on the document itself.  As you point out,
> this isn't something to be done with Internet Drafts, so it falls
> naturally to the RFC Editor, not to the individual authors.

The benefit of the new number requires that folk know about it, which means we
need to make sure it is as visible as possible.  So, I agree it has to be on
individual documents.

The burden of providing pro forma details in an RFC has increasingly fallen to
authors in recent years, with the RFC Editor having to do less editing (and,
on could argue, should continue in that direction.)

Happily, xml2rfc makes this a highly tolerable burden.

So Paul is correct that author tools need to be updated, but since
registration with the US LoC is of long-term benefit, and the change is small,
it's difficult to view that rather burden as onerous.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking