Re: ISSN for RFC Series under Consideration

Mostly sounds fine, with one small glitch.

At 1:52 PM -0400 5/21/08, Ray Pelletier wrote:
>According to the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/issn/, for serials
>available only in online versions, the ISSN should appear on the title
>screen or home page and/or in the masthead or other areas where
>information about publisher, frequency, subscribing, copyright, etc. is
>given.

The value of adding "ISSN: 12345678" to each RFC seems small,
particularly relative to the cost of everyone having to update their
tools and so on. Also, we would have to tell people *not* to put the
ISSN designation in their Internet Drafts (which are not part of the
RFC series), but then switch it on for the RFC, and so on.

The cost of putting "ISSN: 12345678" on a few pages at rfc-editor.org
and ietf.org is tiny and hopefully sufficient for the statement above.

--Paul Hoffman