Re: Randomness of Message-ID in IMDN

Eric Rescorla wrote:

> looking at the examples in -07, it sure looks to me like
> message ids are not intended to be globally unique forever,
> since, since they're way too short.

Indeed, whatever it is, it is certainly no 2822 Message-ID.

>> a "worldwide unique forever" Message-ID can boil down to
>> timestamp @ domain (plus magic to avoid collisions for
>> various Message-ID generators for a given domain or
>> subdomain).

> I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make here.

Some Message-ID generators I'm aware of use timestamps
spiced with other ingredients (process number, specific
format per application) for the unique part (left hand
side), and their outcome is predictable to some degree.

Noted in the "security considerations" of corresponding
RFCs as one of several possible issues with Message-IDs.

I'm not sure what this IMDN handle really is, some kind
of magic cookie.

 Frank