Re: Re-review of draft-ietf-simple-imdn

At Wed, 14 May 2008 12:20:21 +0800,
Eric Burger wrote:

> Inline
>
> On May 4, 2008, at 5:12 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>
> > I originally reviewed version -06 of this document
> > (2008-02-8). Examining the diff, it does not appear to me that any of
> > my comments from my previous review. Looking back in my mail folder, I
> > don't see any reasponses from the authors telling me my review was
> > wrong, so I'm retransmitting it here.
> >
> > -Ekr
> >
> > $Id: draft-ietf-simple-imdn-06-rev.txt,v 1.1 2008/02/08 18:17:54 ekr
> > Exp $
> >
> > This document describes a mechanism for IM senders to request status
> > notifications for their IMs. The sender attaches a header specifying
> > the status conditions he wants to be notified of and intermediaries
> > and the receiving UA notify the sender (or someone else of his choice)
> > subject to policy constraints.
> >
> > One thing I'm not clear on is how the recipient determines where to
> > send the IMDN. Are they supposed to read the "From" field? One thing
> > that I don't get is how the IMDN-Route header interacts here.
> > It looks to me like this gets stuffed in the "To" in the IMDN.
>
> You are right - we go on and on about IMDN-Record-Route, but we never
> explicitly say what to do if there is no IMDN-Record-Route.  How about
> the following text, inserted after the IMDN-Record-Route handling
> paragraph:
>
>     If there is no IMDN-Record-Route header field, the IM Recipient
>     MUST send the IMDN to the URI in the From header field.

That seems reasonable.

> > What happens if someone puts an IMDN-Record-Route that points
> > to an IMDN-ignorant UA?
>
> We need to make it clear that an intermediary can only intermediate on
> its own behalf.
>
> How about the following text change in the Intermediary Behaviour
> section:
> OLD
> An intermediary MAY choose to remain on the path of IMDNs for a
> specific IM. It can do so by adding a CPIM IMDN-Record-Route header
> field as the top IMDN-Record-Route header field and populating it with
> its own address.
> NEW
> An intermediary MAY choose to remain on the path of IMDNs for a
> specific IM. It can do so by adding a CPIM IMDN-Record-Route header
> field as the top IMDN-Record-Route header field. The value of this
> field MUST be the intermediary's own address.

OK.

> I was mulling over whether this introduces a security issue.
> Specifically, what if a malicious intermediary wants to perform a DDoS
> attack on an unsuspecting UA? The intermediary could spew a bunch of
> messages towards other UAs, asking them to send IMDNs to DDoS target
> by setting the topmost Record-Route to the target machine. The good
> news is this takes a similar amount of resources as that intermediary
> attacking the target directly. The bad news is the IMDN-Record-Route
> mechanism provides a mechanism for the malicious node to hide its
> identity from the target. The same issue arises if the node simply
> puts in the target node as the From field of the IM and requests an
> IMDN. The only trace would be server logs, which could identify the
> malicious node as the source of the bogus IMDN requests.
>
> How about we add the following to the "threats in the IMDN system"
> list in the Security Considerations section:
>
>     A malicious intermediary or node attempts to flood a target
>     node with IMDNs by inserting the target's address in the From
>     field or IMDN-Record-Route field
>
> And this text towards the end of the section:
>
>     One way to address the potential for a malicious node to use
>     the IMDN system to anonomize attacks is to log all IMDN
>     requests on the IM Recipient User Agent.  This allows for tracking
>     of attacks, if only after they occur.  Note this also puts a
> burden on
>     the IM Recipient User Agent host.  Limited User Agents may not
>     be able to preserve much of a log.

This seems to accurately characterize the situation. I'm not really
ready to offer an opinion on whether this is an acceptable
security situation--that seems like a question for the WG and the
IESG...

> > Other comments: I would avoid the term "non-repudiation" if at all
> > possible in S 5.3 and later. It's just so overloaded now that it's
> > hard to know what it means.
> Fixed
>
> > S 6.5.  A little more explanation of why IMDN-Record-Route is useful
> > would help.
> Done
>
> > S 7.1.1.1.  Why does Message-ID need any randomness at all as opposed
> > to uniqueness?  And if it needs randomness, why is 32 enough?
>
> The randomness property makes it more difficult for malicious nodes
> guessing Message-IDs and thus being able to pass IMDNs through
> filtering mechanisms.
>
> IYHO, is 32-bits enough? You're the expert; I'm just guessing!

So, unsurprisingly, it depends.

Is your mental model that you have a list of n valid message-ids
"outstanding" at once and you want the probability of an attacker
guessing one to be sufficiently small? With a 32-bit space,
the chance is n/2^32. So, if you're just treating this as a
sort of spam filter, then it's probably fine. But if a single
bad message getting through is fatal, then, no, it's not.

The other thing I would say is that if you want ids to be
unguessable, then you probably want to say that they should
be generated with a cryptographically secure random number
generator. There are lots of PRNGs that produce uniform distributions
but that are predictable and that won't do here, right?

> > S 7.1.3.  Note that you can pack the state into the messageid if
> > you're willing to make large message ids and hte stte is small.
>
> Message-ID could be used for tracking in addition to IMDN, so
> combining the two would not be a good thing.

OK. It was just a side note.

> > S 11.1
> >
> >   An IMDN Payload is an XML document [6] that MUST be well formed and
> >   MUST be valid according to schemas, including extension schemas,
> >   available to the validater and applicable to the XML document.  The
> >   IMDN Payload MUST be based on XML 1.0 and MUST be encoded using
> >   UTF-8.
> >
> > Is this a requirement that the receiver validate the XML?
>
> On the one hand, I suppose it is. On the other hand, that is totally
> unenforceable. Can this one slide under the radar?

Got me. This seems like the kind of question that comes up whenever
we have schema. Have the Apps ADs taken a position on that.

> > S 12.1.1.  Why can't anonymous senders request notifications?
>
> Where would one send the IMDN to?

This goes back to my confusion over where the notifications go.

Seems fine with this explanation.

-Ekr