Re: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures

Fred Baker wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2008, at 1:54 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> Probably the Trust and/or IAOC procedures or charter should be
>> modified so that, in the event of the demise of the IAOC, the Trust
>> falls firmly under direct IETF control (unless the IETF itself
>> ceases to exist).
>

> The concept makes sense to me, but I'd be interested to understand
> how that would be implemented. All decisions of the trust happen in
> discussions on the IETF mailing list, and the consensus of the
> community as determined by J i m F l e m i n g rules?

As Jorge pointed out:

This is covered by Section 6.1(c) of the Trust Agreement.  If
there are ever fewer than 3 Trustees, the IESG will appoint new
Trustees.  The existing Trustees do NOT become "permanent appointments"
if the IAOC is dissolved.  Rather, the IESG would appoint 3 Trustees
until the IAOC or some successor is constituted.

Ray