Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Markku Savela wrote:
>> You seem to be of the opinion that fallback behavior should be extended to
>> AAAA, and you seem to be the first one to express that opinion. (I myself have
>> no opinion on how to resolve this other than believing it has to be resolved -
>> the present ambigiuty is unacceptable.)
>
> As a private person using the "A record only" way of receiving mail, I
> find it useful.

It might be helpful in this context if you could elaborate a bit why
you find it useful?

The only reason I can think of is if (web?) UI of DNS hosting company
would make it burdensome to update both MX and the A record.

As John Klensin wrote on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:40:12 -0400
(<AADD02274043C6E6681E0407@xxxxxxxxxx>), MX can refer to a name so for
typical usage scenarios I can think of, just updating your A record
would automatically update MX settings as well.