RE: Nomcom process realities of "confidentiality"

Lakshminath,

Let me be prefectly frank: if feedback were completely unverifiable
as a result of rigid "confidentiality" requirements, there would be
nothing to stop someone from making things up.  Note that this is -
absolutely - not the same thing as saying anyone in the IETF would
actually take advantage of the opportunity.  That would be similar
to saying that - because we know a little about network protocols -
we are all capable of being the worst sort of hackers.

But there can be a lot of reasons why someone might take advantage
of such an opportunity and - let's face it - at least part of the
reason why people are inclined to verify what they hear is because
there is that possibility.

This may sound a little cynical, and maybe it is - but there are a
few of us that feel that giving feedback based on poorly supported
impressions is not a lot different from "making it up."

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer