Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of traffic for Oprah's Book Club webinars?

On Mar 8, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> 10 years ago I would have thought audiences of this scale or larger
> would be supported with multicast...

And indeed they could be. Most consumer facing ISP's, however, say
that they would rather not
deploy multicast (to save deployment money and gather content
provider revenues) while
they complain about the high cost of supporting Peer to Peer. Some
even pay good money to annoy their
customers by blocking said P2P traffic (TCP resets are the favored
mechanism for this right now.)

If this seems broken, well, I think that it is.

I have to wonder, though, if any ISP will have the guts to block Oprah.

Regards
Marshall