Re: IONs & discuss criteria

On Mar 6, 2008, at Mar 6, 2008,8:55 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2008-03-07 14:06, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> A small clarification below on the reference to the interpretation
>> problems related to 3777:
>>
>> On 3/6/2008 4:10 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> Dave,

>>> To some extent that depends on how carefully the putative BCP
>>> is crafted, with "should" and when to disregard "should" being
>>> very precise. What I think we've seen, with 2026 over the years,
>>> and apparently this year with 3777, is that it's virtually
>>
>> I am not sure whether you have made it to the appendix in my
>> report, but
>> the disagreements in interpretation of 3777 have a history (see Page
>> 37).  The only thing special about the current nomcom is that we
>> chose
>> to bring it to the community's attention.  In Ralph's case, he
>> brought
>> it to the IESG and IAB's attention in March 2006.
>
> That's true, from my personal knowledge since I was in the IESG
> at that time. However, that supports my point ;-) .
>
> (Not to be defensive, but the only changes in RFC 3777 that Ralph
> specifically recommended were the ones covered in RFC 5078).
>
>    Brian

Brian - you might be right, but only on a technicality.  I noted that
a clarification in RFC 3777 in the definition of the term of a mid-
term appointment was needed, but didn't give a specific
recommendation.  More to the point of Lakshminath's observation, I
explicitly pointed out the conflict between RFC 3777 and the IAB
requirements statement to the IAB and the IESG; I didn't recommend a
change to RFC 3777 mostly because I thought it was the IAB
requirements that needed to change.

- Ralph