Re: IONs & discuss criteria

At 2:23 PM -0800 3/6/08, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>Part of the reason I replied so quickly on this thread  is that I
>think I currently have two discuss that do not meet the discuss
>criteria (this being one of  them the other being on Lost). Totally
>fair to pick on me here. Both were entered as, excuse the pun, fairly
>fluffy comments because I believe fully stating each point by point
>things  would have actually make it significantly harder for the
>editor of the documents to find a good solution. In both cases I
>believe the editor pretty much understands the issue and if I get
>requests to please rewrite to be a reasonable discuss, I'm glad to do
>that after the meeting.

Speaking as one of the editors of LoST, and not as a general statement
on this problem, a clear discuss from the beginning would have been
helpful.  I have been willing to have phone calls, conduct a series of email
exchanges, and chat via IM on this; I want this document to be right.
But the amount of effort you are requiring from the authors to
work towards a statement of the problem, much less a solution,
has been pretty significant:  10 emails from me alone on your issues alone, as
we worked toward an understanding of the issue you have.
That boiled down to a DISCUSS that should be as simple as
"In non-emergency use cases, I am concerned that the provisions
of 12.2 allow servers to use algorithms that will needlessly return
null results.   Please add guidance for non-emergency use cases."

Speaking again as someone who thinks this is general problem, the
issue I am raising is not that there are bad discusses.  The issue I
am raising is that the document which describes what discusses
are or should be has no force at the moment at all, and should be
a community document rather than a statement of the body
which may hold discusses.  Only the latter allows the community
to hold the IESG accountable adequately.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie