Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-sha2 (Using SHA2 AlgorithmswithCryptographic Message Syntax) to Proposed Standard

At 3:06 PM +0100 3/3/08, Denis Pinkas wrote:
>  >>  >While I welcome this draft, everybody should take into
>>>
>>>If an algorithm is cracked then isn't it obvious that we're in trouble?  No
>>>other algorithm document I could find says something like this so I'm
>>>inclined to not include this in the security considerations section.
>>
>>... or anywhere else. If any algorithm (hash, encryption, signing,
>>...) is broken, it is broken. Sean's right here.
>
>The message is the following: if the SHA2 family is broken, then you
>had better
>to use two hash algorithms from a different family (e.g. use Whirlpool).

There is no consensus in the IETF that this statement is true. We
have discussed it many times for many years. Adding such a sentence
to this document without community agreement is wrong.

>We should also reference
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-multisig-04.txt
>which allows to use two different hash functions (from different
>families, if possible).

That's also inappropriate, given that this document covers many uses
of SHA2 that are not related to multisig.