RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-sha2 (Using SHA2 AlgorithmswithCryptographic Message Syntax) to Proposed Standard

Denis,

spt

The 2nd sentence in the Intro says (or will say after I delete the and):
"The message digest algorithms are defined in [SHS]."  The 1st sentence in 3
references the DSS, X9.62, and RFC2313 for DSA, ECDSA, and RSA (we're moving
the references to 1st sentence of 2nd para. I think we're covered.

>>>  >A small discussion in the security considerations section on
>family would
>>>
>>>I'll see if I can't get something from NIST (or at least
>point to it).
>>
>>I'll disagree with this. These are not security considerations; they
>>are performance considerations. And pretty obvious ones at that.
>
>It is both performance and security.
>The larger the hash is, the better is the security, but the
>performance may be lower.

I don't really have a problem adding this sentence.

>>>  >While I welcome this draft, everybody should take into
>>>
>>>If an algorithm is cracked then isn't it obvious that we're in
>>>trouble?  No other algorithm document I could find says
>something like
>>>this so I'm inclined to not include this in the security
>considerations section.
>>
>>... or anywhere else. If any algorithm (hash, encryption, signing,
>>...) is broken, it is broken. Sean's right here.
>
>The message is the following: if the SHA2 family is broken,
>then you had better to use two hash algorithms from a
>different family (e.g. use Whirlpool).
>
>We should also reference
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-multisig-04.txt
>which allows to use two different hash functions (from
>different families, if possible).

I'm not sure we need to add this reference.