Re: PTR for IPv6 clients (Re: IPv6 NAT?)

Harald Alvestrand a écrit :
> Rémi Després wrote:
>> Harald Alvestrand a écrit :

>>> perhaps the advent of IPv6 will result in people finally (*finally*)
>>> giving up on this sorry excuse for a security blanket? (calling it a
>>> "mechanism" is too kind)
>>>
>>> Or perhaps it'll just make people register wildcard records at the /64
>>> level in ip6.arpa :-(
>>>

>> One approach to achieve it could be ias follows:
>> -  An IPv6 link  where some privacy source addresses may be used would
>> have in the DNS a record for a "generic privacy address".
>> -  This address would  be the /64 of the  link followed by an agreed
>> "joker IID" (0:0:0:0 or some other to be agreed on, e.g. FFFF:0:0:0).
>> -  Resolvers, if they recognize a privacy remote address, would query
>> the reverse DNS with this "generic privacy address"  of the remote link.
>> -  They could also do this type of queries after failures of full
>> address queries.
>>
>> Problem:
>> Privacy addresses, as specified today, cannot be distinguished with
>> 100% certainety from addresses obtained with stateful DHCPv6.
>> A proposal would be an addition to the privacy extension spec (rfc 4941).
>> - A variant of privacy addresses would be defined for "dsitinguishable
>> privacy addresses".
>> - These addresses would, for example, have  FF00::/8 at the beginning
>> of their IID  (no currently specified IPv6 IID begins that way;
>> randomness on 58 bits is good enough).
>> - Then resolvers could recognize such privacy addresses for sure, and
>> could query the reverse DNS with the  generic privacy address only
>> when this is appropriate.
>>
>> IMHO, this is a feasible step to reconcile: (1) privacy requirements
>> of individuals; (2)  desire to know which site is at the other end
>> where and when such a desire exists.
> My desire to have privacy is, in itself, something I may want to keep
> private.
I am not sure I see the practical consequences.
If my source address says "I am someone but you will not know who I am",
isn't this sufficient?

> If what you want to know is indeed "which site is at the other end",
> wildcards at the /64 level will achieve that with no changes to existing
> code.

I am not familiar enough with wildcard operation in the DNS.
If it provides for queries that concern only site prefixes, then you are
right: no need for an agreed "wildcard IID".
The result is the same with existing mechanisms, which is clearly better.

RD