Re: ISP support models Re: IPv6 NAT?

Hi, Iljitsch,

From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 19 feb 2008, at 16:30, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

>>> If you really want this, you can simply create a loopback interface
>>> with address fc00::1 on it and users can type "http:// [fc00::1]/" (ok,
>>> so the brackets are annoying, but no NAT helps against that) and the
>>> users can connect to that address regardless of what the addresses
>>> used on the LAN are.
>
>> Were you thinking that the loopback interface would be on the "working
>> machine" Dan mentioned, or the inner interface on the LAN router  device
>> (in
>> my case, 192.168.10.1 would be my wireless router plugged into my  cable
>> modem) that is having connectivity issues on its outer interace?
>
>> Because I'm almost sure the second case is what Dan's talking about...
>
> Yes, and that's what I'm talking about, too. I sometimes forget that  not
> everyone spends their days configuring routers  :-)  where  loopback
> interfaces have a very different function than they do on  hosts. Since
> you're sending all your packets to the router, the  packets addressed to
> the router's FC00::1 address, which is tied to  the loopback interface
> simply because loopback interfaces never go  down, will be processed
> locally so you get to manage the router.  Obviously this only works for
> your default gateway, and, as I said  before, a good service discovery
> mechanism is still a very good idea.

Ah - thanks. Since we were talking about the user's view from a host, I was
off in RFC 3330-land.

Thanks,

Spencer, who was thinking of

   127.0.0.0/8 - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
   loopback address.  A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
   address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
   This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
   but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
   anywhere [RFC1700, page 5].