Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:49 PM, johnl@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>> P.S. How many folks out there have phones (hard or soft) from which
>> they can place calls to other random SIP endpoints?  (I do, but also
>> realize I'm in a minority.)
>
> Probably enough of us.
>
> I agree that SIP conferencing doesn't work perfectly, but POTS
> conferencing, even rather high priced POTS conferencing, is often
> pretty bad, particularly when people are on cell phones or calls over
> other noisy or slow links.  It's certainly worth a few experiments to
> see if a $0 conference is really worse than a $1000 conference.

Not sure about the cost side of this, as running a SIP server that can
handle a decent number of calls does have an expense.  However, I use
SIP for most of the calling that I do.  My entire office runs off of
SIP, though it still has to connect to the PSTN at some point.  I
would prefer to use my spare bits to transport voice all the way
through to the destination if at all possible.  Even the conferencing
that we do sounds good when all parties are dialed into our SIP based
bridge.  There are just too many variables that go into voice networks
to say that one technology or another is responsible for how *good* it
is.

--Morgan