Re: Eating our own dog food and using SIP for telephony... (was Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

Dan York wrote:
[..]
P.S. How many folks out there have phones (hard or soft) from which they can place calls to other random SIP endpoints? (I do, but also realize I'm in a minority.)

I know quite a number of people who have and are actively using SIP phones. I personally am a great fan of the Siemens S450IP/S675IP[1], just plug it in, go to the webpage, configure, works, and the fun thing is, it is a normal phone, thus plug in POTS and that also keeps on working. I donated one to my folks, and now it is publically known how I can call up my mum for free (except inet&hardware&power etc costs) for a couple of hours if I am cooking something up again ;)

The problem at the moment with SIP is:
 - STUN works, but is sorta annoying to setup
 - E164 support is not there yet (just try to get your number
   registered in e164.arpa, workaround: use e164.org)

One big solution would be using IPv6 of course ;)

But:
 - most hardphones don't support this
 - Asterisk doesn't come out of the box with IPv6 *yet*, see [2]

With IPv6 enabled, one can at least avoid the STUN tricks and routing the packets over the PBX (eg asterisk) and that would make latency better (unless you have bad IPv6 connectivity) and thus even more enjoyable.

Currently, the S675IP with a Asterisk box works like a charm though and it is what I use daily for calling up people and getting called.

Greets,
 Jeroen

[1] = http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens+Gigaset+S675IP
[2] = http://www.asteriskv6.org/