Re: I-D Action:draft-carpenter-rfc2026-changes-02.txt

On 2008-01-18 23:20, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> the question is whether people are interested enough to comment...
>
> ...and maybe also how interested the author is to answer comments:
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.general/27581/match=2026>
>
> [RFC 3700]
> You still propose to kill STD 1 claiming that everybody is online
> today.  What with CDs containing all RFCs, or similar collections
> for offline use ?

Well, mosts CDs seem to have index pages of some kind -
something like http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html would
do it (and that is always up to date, whereas STD1 is normally
out of date).

> [standards action]
> Removing the right to initiate a "standards actions" from the
> community is a bad idea.  That's not "aligning with reality", I
> tested it, it works like a charme, the RFC in question meanwhile
> got its number.

I didn't intend that at all. Where do you find that?

> [Draft Standard]
> "Deployable Standard" for DS is nice.
>
> [conflicts]
> Does "persons appointed to IETF roles" include document editors
> and expert reviewers ?  I think Chairs can act as buffer between
> angry folks and editors, and so hope it does NOT include editors.

We can debate the details I guess - but don't you think there should
be an appeal path if an IANA-considerations expert reviewer makes
a dubious decision? Document editors aren't appointed by the IESG,
so wouldn't be covered by my language.

> Have you integrated your conflict draft into this draft ?

No. There was insignificant community interest in that so
I've dropped it.

> It could
> be better to keep them apart.  While you are at it you could adopt
> John's proposal to replace "two months" by "six weeks" for appeals.

That would be a real change rather than an alignment with current
practice.

   Brian