2821bis and IPv6 (was: houston.rr.com MX fubar?)

Tony Finch wrote:ed, 16 Jan 2008, Mark Andrews wrote:

>> Since when has Informational been equivalent to Standard?

> Since (a) there is no standards-track specification to override
> it, and (b) all implementations follow RFC 3974, and (c) it's
> the obvious extension of v4 behaviour to v6.

That line of arguments is shaky for (a).  For (b) we have to see
what the "implementation and interop report" says, that could be
nothing, because 2821 forgot to mention AAAA - your observations
for popular MTAs not withstanding.  And while (c) is obvious this
could be a window of opportunity to kill this feature in 2821bis.

> it has become a permanent part of the protocol.

If the IESG approves 2821bis.  I don't believe in any "consensus"
if that's not a decision by a Chair or the IESG, but this 2821bis
detail is apparently getting "rougher".  I've no clear idea what
John meant in the discussion of IPv6 wrt SMTP here some days ago.

 Frank