Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-net-utf8 (Unicode Format for Network Interchange) to Proposed Standard

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:33:52PM -0500,
 The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> - 'Unicode Format for Network Interchange '
> <draft-klensin-net-utf8-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This is a long-awaited standard, addressing one of the few missing
pieces in the internationalisation of the Internet protocols.

As mentioned in the appendix C, some protocols would benefit from this
new standard.

I've read and studied the -07 draft and my opinion is that it is good
for publication as a PS.

Some choices are - for me - mostly arbitrary (such as using CR+LR for
line endings instead of LS) but the important thing is that there is
*one* choice.

The delicate balance between what we specify (using MUST or SHOULD)
and the recognition that people will do strange things and that
implementations should be prepared, is, IMHO, right.

I appreciate also the historical materials in appendices A and B and I
wish more RFCs have such background information.