IPv6 and email routing, was Re: AAAA records to be added for root servers

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, John C Klensin wrote:

> However, there is also a rule that, if no MX records are present at a
> particular node, the mail system looks for an A RR at the same node and
> treats it as if its label appeared with an MX preference of 0.  That
> default does not apply to AAAA records, so it is necessary that
> operators understand that, if mail systems are to be accessed using
> IPv6, they MUST have MX records at the relevant nodes.

The only document that I know of which specifies IPv6 email routing is RFC
3974, which says that AAAA should be treated exactly the same as A. As far
as I know, Exim, Postfix, and Sendmail follow RFC 3974.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA SHANNON ROCKALL MALIN: MAINLY SOUTHWESTERLY, BECOMING CYCLONIC FOR A