Re: Last Call: draft-wilde-sms-uri (URI Scheme for GSM Short Message Service) to Proposed Standard

On Nov 23, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Andrew Newton wrote:

On Nov 21, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

1) as far as I understand the needs to defining an address for sending SMS, I would want to understand why it would not be better to a tel URI than define a new type. Defining new types that have the same information just leads to lack of compatibility with existing applications and redundant information that gets out of sync. Let me provide a few examples.

That's an interesting observation given that there has been IETF advice for the opposite. Just recently in a RAI working group (http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/current/msg04645.html):

- Fields that can contain HTTP URLs without clear expectations on what kind of resource must be at the URL, can also be bad for interoperability

That was about BCP 56 and defining a new URI scheme for HELD. If HELD is to have a new URI scheme, I would think that SMS would also qualify. Unlike HELD which is just reusing HTTP, this draft points to the SMS specification and the things that are specific to SMS interoperability. In particular, the extra information this draft specifies over what can be done is the smsc-qualifier and sms-body (to answer your question). Maybe principles behind BCP 56 should be universally applied.

It's my post that's quoted above, but that isn't what I meant. I meant that if we have a field, in XML or in another format like VCard that allows kind of URL whatsoever, then we'll have problems when clients use the field very creatively. Some examples:

- WebDAV (RFC4918) uses <href> elements to contain arbitrary URIs -- not just HTTP URLs. But in some contexts where the client is supposed to dereference the URL (instead of use it as a token), the spec restricts the URL -- e.g. a HTTP URL -- but not just any HTTP URL, the spec restricts the reference to point to a WebDAV resource. This is English-language spec restrictions, by the way, not XML schema or defining a new URI schema.

- VCard (RFC2426) has a PHOTO field. This can contain a value that is typed as a URI. Unfortunately, there's no advice at all about whether the URI could be an HTTP URL, FTP URL, IMAP URL, data: URL or other. This has limited the use of that field to de facto, accidental "standardization" -- since clients probably only support HTTP URLs in that field that's all anybody can ever use.

Being specific about the kind of URI that can appear in a specific application is a separate issue from whether a new URI type is needed to distinguish the kind of resource. I'm the shepherd for the SMS URI spec, but I don't see how these issues relate, given that the SMS URI spec defines the URI itself, not any places for its use.

Lisa