Re: 2026, draft, full, etc.

--On Friday, 02 November, 2007 10:14 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One idea that was floated a couple of years ago, as part of a
> one-level
> standards track, was to retain the register of implementation
> reports
> (http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html) and mark the
> entries
> that have been approved by the IESG. The RFC index could then
> point to
> approved implementation reports, without any formal
> "promotion" needed.

Back in the days when words like "simple", as in "Simple foo
protocol" meant what one would expect, I think this would have
been a very useful alternative.  Today, most of our protocols
have many features, options, and characteristics.  I suggest
that only rarely is every one of them implemented,
comprehensively and faithfully, in every implementation that
might appear in an implementation report.   In addition, rarely
has an initial specification of a protocol turned out to be
completely clear and comprehensive.

Consequently, a properly-written and accurate implementation
report is likely to be a mixture of what was fully implemented
without problems, what was partially implemented or ignored
(with explanations), and what was implemented in some particular
way with other possible interpretations.   The only way to take
those reports and produce a clear description of what the
standard should be, as reflected by the combination of the
initial specification and practice experience, involves some
sort of consensus document.  That document could be either a
revision of the original or an extended description of which
parts of the original were still relevant together with
corrections and clarifications as needed.

A mere collection of implementation reports would be
significantly helpful to a reader trying to figure out what the
standard should be iff it was associated with an Applicability
Statement that did the latter job.   FWIW, I think our
experience has been that documents suitable for publication as
Draft or Full Standards are easier to write, and written more
often, than Applicability Statements of that type.

    john