Re: 2026, draft, full, etc.

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 2007-11-01 21:36, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>> I'm not sure about this.  I used to think DS was useless, but it doesn't
>> seem actively harmful.  I think the problem is that we don't have a
>> replacement for it today.  If we can come up with a scheme to allow the
>> community to know which standards are mature and which are not, and that
>> scheme actually works, I think we could eliminate the DS way.  But until
>> that happens, I'm not sure.
>
> One idea that was floated a couple of years ago, as part of a one-level
> standards track, was to retain the register of implementation reports
> (http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html) and mark the entries
> that have been approved by the IESG. The RFC index could then point to
> approved implementation reports, without any formal "promotion" needed.

In which case we might want to resurrect Larry Masinter's proposal about
feature sets:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-newtrk-interop-reports-00

I've been following that in defining a feature set for XMPP:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-xmpp-feature-set-00

Whether I can convince XMPP developers to submit implementation reports
is another question. :)

Perhaps more experiments along these lines are in order?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/