Re: Daily Dose version 2 launched

Hi Henrik,

That page is well done and it catches the eye. However, see comments inline. :-)

At 12:32 02-11-2007, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

Hmm.  I'm not sure exactly what's the issue here, so let's try to
explore this and see what we can find out.

[snip]

The way I see it, replacing that with a news summary would be a good
idea.  The text above was appropriate when the tools pages were being
established; they are now used by a lot of people, and the text above
seems to be a bit superfluous.

A lot of new people may not be familiar with the tools pages. The "static text" tells them what tools is about. That may sound obvious for the people who are already familiar with it.

I could be wrong about that, and if so, an indication of how you
feel about the old and new page would be good.  Some options are:

   - You would specifically like to keep the text above (or some
   modification of it).

Yes.

   - You agree that it's time for a re-working of the front page, but you
   don't want to have the latest happenings on the front page, you want
   them as a separate news page.

The Daily Dose is more appropriate for a news page.

   - You don't care too much what's at the front page, as long as it's
   not too heavy-weight -- the major objection isn't to the news page as
   such, but to the increased size of the page *for you personally as a
   consumer of the page*

I would prefer tools to be lightweight.  Some people are still on slow links.

Regards,
-sm