RE: Patents can be for good, not only evil

Looking at the final office actions from some of my own applications I absolutely agree with Steve here.  It is pretty clear that the only database that the USPTO can search effectively is its own.

One of the reasons I file patents is to smoke out patent claims filed by others. The USPTO is the most effective method available. Compared to the expense of a patent lawsuit the cost is negligible.