Concerns on TLS authorization extensions

I'm a software developer who relies on royalty free standards that the IETF has worked so hard to provide that make the web the success it is. As such I was troubled by an issue the Free Software Foundation raised about IETF accepting a patented technology that if used by me in a software product I would have to pay royalties on what could be one day a internet standard.

Even if the technology is labeled 'experimental' the IETF has a very good name in internet standards and even a blemish stands out on a clean wall. I would like to know what efforts the IETF is taking to ensure that one company does not gain a monopoly over a possible internet standard, which would be disastrous for software development worldwide. Such as asking RedPhone Security, Inc to release the patent under a royalty free, worldwide basis.. delaying the standard intill the patent expires... or working around the patent by changing the specification. I'm not sure of the nature of the patent, but the FSF has experience in designing software around patents with their fabulous GNU Project, and i'm sure they will be willing to lend some expertise.

Look forward to hearing from you
John