RE: A priori IPR choices

Ted Hardie wrote:
> The point being, of course, that there is a world of difference between
> "many" and "all" here.  If there is no development community using
> the GPL in an area, forcing the IPR restrictions to meet a GPL test
> may hinder development rather than enhance it, especially in
> cases where the only requirement in a license is to request it.
> For many development communities, that is not an issue since it
> requires no monetary outlay.

Will you please stop talking about GPL as if it is the only open source
license relevant here! My concern is that *all* free and open source
licensors be able to implement IETF specifications without patent
encumbrances. And *all* proprietary licensors too, for that matter. There
ought to be no "GPL test" for IETF specifications, other than that our
specifications be implementable and distributable under the GPL *and any
other* license.

As for setting our IPR policy based on whether there be an actual GPL (or
other specific license) implementation at the time the specification is
being created and approved, that's a strange proposal. The freedom and
openness we seek is for implementations of IETF specifications now *or in
the future*. We may not be using GPL now, but maybe someone will want to
later. Why shouldn't IETF's IPR policy be compatible with that?

/Larry