Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

At 4:35 PM -0400 10/23/07, Sam Hartman wrote:

>my assumption is that our standards that are useful tend to be useful
>in open-source environments.  And that people should at least stop and
>think if there is not an OS implementation of a standard.  We might
>find a few areas (MPLS and CCAMP spring to mind) where it is quite
>clear that no such desire to implement exists even though there are
>significant other implementations.

Interestingly, I was also thinking of CCAMP and MPLS when I was
coming up with examples.  There may well be others, though, where
the open-source implementations have a comparatively small impact on the
actual deployments even though they clearly exist; BGP, for example,
might fit into that category.  The bigger point, though, is that there are
now and likely will be in the future some technologies that are worth
IETF time and effort even if they don't appeal to the open source
community as projects (or even if the open source community projects
will have little deployment).

>We == those interested in this idea.  I'm sorry that I failed to make
>it clear I'm speaking only for myself and especially not for the IESG.
>
>--Sam

Thank you for your clarification.  I, as well, am speaking only for myself.

				regards,
					Ted