RE: [IPsec] Re: Last call comments for draft-lepinski-dh-groups-01

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> >2) For IKEv1/IKEv2, the document should explicitly specify how
> >ECC points are converted to octet strings (for KE payloads
> >and resulting shared secret value). Currently, there are at
> >least three incompatible options (RFC 4753, RFC 2409, and
> >draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups-10 drafts). I'd suggest just
> >saying "the same way as in RFC 4753".
>
> This bodes really poorly for interoperability.
> draft-lepinski-dh-groups needs to be revised to specify one of the
> methods, and that needs to be discussed on the IPsec mailing list.
> I would not assume that implementers would prefer RFC 4753 over
> draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups.

I suggested "the same way as in RFC 4753" not because I particularly
prefer that point-to-octet-string conversion method, but because I
would prefer not having three different methods (two is bad enough).

(Note that the current ecc-groups-10 draft actually tries to
modify the definitions of groups 19/20/21 from RFC 4753: it
reuses the same numbers but with different point-to-octet-string
conversion method.)

Best regards,
Pasi