Re: TMDA backscatter

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Douglas Otis wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
>
> > Returned message content in DSNs is often essential information for
> > debugging of mail system problems.   Blindly insisting that DSNs
> > should not return subject message content is shortsighted.  We have
> > already crippled the mail system too much as the result of naive
> > and shortsighted spam countermeasures.
>
> The recommendation was to conform to requirements of RFC3464, but
> could have been a bit more explicit in what was meant by original
> content.  The concern is the abuse of DSNs as an indirect content
> delivery mechanism.   Including original content runs a much greater
> risk that any DSN then becomes blocked or dropped.  A more difficult
> problem to solve occurs when no DSN is found after a message delivery
> fails for some reason.  Less is more in terms of what should be
> included of original message content.
>
> Per recipient:
>   original-recipient-field
>   final-recipient-field
>   action-field "failed" / "delayed" / "delivered" / "relayed" /
> "expanded"
>   status-field
>   remote-mta-field
>   diagnostic-code-field
>   last-attempt-date-field
>   final-log-id-field
>   will-retry-until-field
>
> Per message:
>   original-envelope-id-field
>   reporting-mta-field
>   dsn-gateway-field
>   received-from-mta-field
>   arrival-date-field
>
> Is this what you would like to see in a DSN?

As an end user, this would be about useless ... at least w/o a much
smarter client than I'm used to. Some DSNs take days to arrive. Figuring
out what message got lost w/o some portion of the actual user oriented
content is difficult at best. As an end user, I would prefer to get back
exactly what I sent, content wise. Easier to figure out what went wrong
and easier to resend. Also easier to recognized I didn't orginate the
email.

My spam filtering system does quite well eliminating backscatter while
retaining valid DSNs so my feeling is we should focus on making
backscatter detectable and not on crippling the system.

Dave Morris