RE: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02

I have seen the functioning of SGs at the IEEE and agree that they can be useful, but I'm not sure about how it is being "translated" into the IETF>

It occurs to me that we don't need to invent a new process here. The IRTF houses different types of "research" groups: some are meant
to be long-lived, some are meant to meet during IETF, some never meet, etc. There also are some RGs that have operated in a manner
similar to the study groups being proposed: NSRG (name spaces research group), for example. And some that have been started as an
alternative to petitions to form a WG, and which would seriously benefit from
having a tighter charter with specific milestones and expectations (e.g., p2prg RG).

RGs are created with all sorts of different goals in mind. All that the IESG needs here, I think, is to start an RG to probe further into
a given issue, and keep it on a short leash along the lines stipulated for the SG: e.g., milestones, meetings during IETF, explicit IESG liaison, etc.
But the point is that these conditions need not be the same for each such RG/SG.

I also think this is something useful the IRTF could do, as most often than not, it actually doesn't do any research. The IESG wins, the IRTF wins,
the IETF wins.

-gabriel

> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:45:44 +0200
> From: dromasca@xxxxxxxxx
> To: lear@xxxxxxxxx; ekr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: jari.arkko@xxxxxxxxx; ietf@xxxxxxxx; iesg@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02
>
> The way I see it the problem that this proposal tries to solve is about
> helping the IESG and the community to make a better decision when the
> forming of the working group us discussed. It is not about bringing more
> work to the IETF, it is about making sure to a better extent that the
> right work is being brought into the IETF. In the absence of such a
> process what we see in many cases is the formation of ad-hoc groups,
> which is not necessarily bad - but why not charter them with a set of
> clear questions which may help the IESG and the whole community reach a
> more educated decision?
>
> Regarding terminology, the term 'study group' is used in this proposal
> in a way similar to how the IEEE is using it.
>
> Dan

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!