Re: why can't IETF emulate IEEE on this point?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:47:46 +0000
Paul Vixie <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> in <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/21/802_11n_patent_threat/>,
> we see:
>
> 		Letters of Assurance are requested from all parties
> 		holding patents which may be applicable to any IEEE
> 		standard. Basically they state that the patent owner
> 		won't sue anyone for implementing the standard.  ...
>
> i was thinking, what a great policy.  why doesn't IETF have one like
> it?

Because the strong consensus of the IPR WG a few years ago was to keep
the current policy.  As Ted Hardie pointed out, that group's mailing
list is the correct place to raise this issue -- but frankly, I don't
think the consensus has changed since the issue was last considered.