Re: why can't IETF emulate IEEE on this point?

* Paul Vixie:

> in <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/21/802_11n_patent_threat/>, we see:
>
> 		Letters of Assurance are requested from all parties
> 		holding patents which may be applicable to any IEEE
> 		standard. Basically they state that the patent owner
> 		won't sue anyone for implementing the standard.  ...
>
> i was thinking, what a great policy.  why doesn't IETF have one like it?

Perhaps because IEEE hasn't got anything like that, either?

The IEEE has got a very expansive patent policy:

| 7.14 Patent Rights of Employed Engineer Inventors
|
| In order to promote the progress of electrical arts and sciences, it
| is IEEE policy to encourage the establishment of appropriate
| incentive systems for the development and disclosure of
| inventions. Implementation of this policy may include actions
| directed toward the improvement and revitalization of patent laws to
| extend protection of inventions in newer fields of technology not
| currently covered, and greater incentives to government contractors
| for the commercial utilization of inventions resulting from
| government support, and improving laws to provide equitable
| distribution of rights between employed inventors and their
| employers, as well as to promote equitable standard patent
| pre-assignment agreements.

The spelled-out policy for standards is available under:

<http://standards.ieee.org/guides/bylaws/sect6-7.html>

I don't think it's fundamentally different from the IETF policy (that
is, RAND is acceptable).