RE: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

> the concern i heard wrt ULA-G (and therefore wrt ULA-C upon
> with -G is based) is that the filtering recommendations in
> RFC 4193 were as unlikely to "work"
> as the filtering recommendations in RFC 1597 and RFC 1918.

Given the overwhelming success of RFC 1918 it only requires a very small
percentage of sites leaking routes to make it seem like a big problem.
This is normal. When you scale up anything, small nits happen frequently
enough to become significant issues. But that is not a reason to get rid
of RFC 1918.

The fact that the filtering recommendations of ULA-C and ULA-G have the
same flaws as RFC 1918 is a not sufficient reason to reject them
wholesale.

> i realized in
> that moment, that ULA-G (and therefore ULA-C) is not an end
> run around PI space, it's an end run around the DFZ.  some
> day, the people who are then responsible for global address
> policy and global internet operations, will end the "tyranny
> of the core" by which we cripple all network owners in their
> available choices of address space, based solely on the
> tempermental fragility of the internet's core routing system.
>  but we appear not to be the generation who will make that leap.

I think that even today, if you analyze Internet traffic on a global
scale, you will see that there is a considerable percentage of it which
"bypasses" the core. Let the core use filters to protect the DFZ because
the DFZ is no longer necessary for a workable Internet.

--Michael Dillon