Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 12:08:30AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > > 	interestingly, some software vendors ship w/ license
> > > 	keys tied to IP addresses... particularly for enterprise
> > > 	level stuff.  not so easy to update in my experience.
> >
> > 	I've always thought that practice to be STUPID.  It was
> > 	stupid 15 years ago and it is still stupid today.  Yes
> > 	I've had to renumber sites with keys tied to IP addresses.
>
> 	stupid or not, it exists and is not ammenable to automation.

	Why isn't it?  It's just one more message for the management
	station to push out.

> > > 	David is correct, scale does have its own set of renumbering
> > > 	problems.  While i believe you, i think your confidence
> > > 	is based on some naieve assumptions.
> >
> > 	I'm not saying scale doesn't have problems.  Automation
> > 	however is the solution to those problems.  That's why
> > 	management stations were invented.
>
> 	automation can augment renumbering events, but until we
> 	have a fundamental change in architecture, renumbering will require
> 	human intervention and will always be disruptive.

	It doesn't take a change in architecture.  We have the
	technology today to remove the need to tie anything to specific
	IP addresses.  It just requires the willingness to use it.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@xxxxxxx