Best Practices in IP addresses Management to Ease Renumbering (Was: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:11:34AM -0700,
 Tony Li <tli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

> As a practical matter, these things are quite doable.

Yes.

> This is not theoretical, I've worked with all of the above.

Yes. But the point is that many, probably most sites do not have such
a methodology. Configurations are maintained by hand, text files are
not generated from a database by a program, IP addresses are
everywhere (think of documentation), etc.

Let's try to improve things: your post is a good sketch for a BCP
describing how organizations should handle IP addresses to make
renumbering as painless as possible. Why not making an I-D from it?