Re: renumbering, was Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > 	For the DNS use UPDATE to update the address records.
>
> Since when did that work for delegation changes?

	The protocol has supported it from day 1.  We've shipped
	clients that supported it since 2000 (all version of BIND
	9 support it).  This was one of the architectual issues
	that was addressed in BIND 9.  We went to seperate databases
	for each zone rather than a single database.

	You can use UPDATE to update *any* record in a zone that
	includes records that are occulted by the a delegating NS
	RRset.

	The only things you can't do with UPDATE (yet) are:
	* provision a server to server a new zone.
	* decomission a zone.

	If we could get the TLD's to accept UPDATE packets I'd
	write the code to do this whenever the master server
	was updated (NS/glue changed) / restarted.  This would
	be a alternative method to going through EPP.

		zone "example.com" {
			type master;
			file "master/example.com.db";
			update-parent yes;