Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

> > > Oh man, that's rich.  Do you actually believe that?
> >
> > 	If you design the network for IPv6 and not just copy the
> > 	IPv4 model.  If you use the technology that has been developed
> > 	over the last 20 years, rather than disabling it, yes it is
> > 	possible.
>
> OK, how is it possible to automate the renumbering of my firewall
> entries which contain IPv6 addresses and prefixes?

	Ask your firewall vendor.  It isn't rocket science to add
	support for multiple prefixes.  If you all ask they will
	listen.

> How is it possible to automate the renumbering of my extranet business
> partner firewalls who also contain some of my IPv6 addresses and
> prefixes?

	Configure a secure channel to push that information to them.

	I do that today for IPv4 for my home network.  My ISP changes
	my address and I automatically inform the people that need
	to know of the address change.  I also get zero advance
	notice of the address change.  I just wake up in the morning
	and find that it has changed at 3 am.  Happens about once
	every 3 months.

> How do I automate the renumbering of router ACLs in my own IPv6 network?

	Talk to your router vendor.

	I was not kidding when I suggested that router and firewall
	vendors should renumber regularly.  The only way to make
	this sort of thing work is to exercise the path until all
	the problems are gone.

> These are purely theoretical questions, but I do know of many instances
> where these kinds of things do need renumbering when an IP address
> prefix changes.
>
> Please don't say DEN, WBEM, etc.
>
> --Michael Dillon

Mark Andrews, ISC