Re: Symptoms vs. Causes

At Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:51:33 -0700,
Christian Huitema wrote:

> > There are a large number of protocol designs--even existing
> > protocols--which are compatible with the general paradigm of "user U
> > proves possession of password P to server A without giving A a
> > credential which can be used to impersonate U to server B".
> > HTTP Digest, TLS-PSK, SRP, and PwdHash all come to mind. The
> > difficult parts are:
> >
> > (1) putting a sensible UI on it--including one that isn't easily
> >     spoofed (see the extensive literature on how hard it is
> >     to build a secure UI.
> > (2) Getting everyone to agree on one protocol.
>
> Please add:
>
> (3) The chosen solution is immune to dictionary attacks.

Well, I'm not convinced that this is in fact a requirement (I note
it's not in Sam's document, not that I take that as gospel). That
said, if you want this property, then it severely narrows the
scope of possible solutions, more or less down to either ZKPP/PAKE
protocols and to public key-based authentication using random
(as opposed to password generated) keys.

-Ekr