Re: Symptoms vs. Causes (was next step on web phishing draft)

> I certainly agree with attacking the cause rather than symptom. But a
> portion of Sam Hartman's draft is in fact dealing with a cause of the
> symptom. Namely the part that is trying to protect user credentials
> from disclosure to an unauthorized party -- by proposing to eliminate
> the near ubiquitous phenomenon of sending passwords over TLS to an
> application server. And using proper cryptographic authentication
> techniques that don't transmit long-lived passwords or keys over the
> network period. It's about time the IETF stood up and said that.

I agree with that.

> We can have a discussion about whether long lived human memorizable
> passwords have a future. But we have to deal with the reality today.

Why is it an either/or?  Can't we do both?  My  issue with was with saying
that solutions MUST support passwords.

> I suppose that some time in the distant future we might all be using
> public key authentication... but we
> are very far from that world.

Smartcards aren't the only alternative here.  For example, folks in the
KEYPROV WG make an argument that token authentication has the potential to
become a mass market phenomenon.

> Should we be recommending non-reusable passwords or
> smartcards/tokens everywhere?

Frankly, I think it would be best if the IETF would develop solutions
compatible with a range of approaches, and let customers choose.

> Even if you've protected your authentication credentials, not
> trusting endstation software means that you may not be able to
> conduct any private or sensitive tasks on it.

Right.  But there's a difference between violation of privacy and being
able to empty someone's bank account.  It's a distinction that is worth
making, and one which the current document is not clear about.