Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:
I don't see how such an architectural limitation can be enforced. There is no way that the IETF can prevent an ISP issuing IPv6 customers a /128 if they choose.

Not directly, but there's the indirect route: a) IETF designs IPv6 autoconfiguration. b) Linksys, D-Link, Netgear and friends make boxes that support autoconfiguration. c) ISP hand out /128s. d) Autoconfiguration doesn't work well. e) Customers call ISP support. f) ISP loses $$$. g) ISP starts issuing /48s instead.

I don't know the first thing about how IPv6 autoconfiguration works. It worked very well in my previous office. Will it work better when the router has a /48 at hand than a /64 or /128?

Arnt