Meeting the "requirements" of a BCP

Sam,

You said the following on BCPs on the EMU list recently. (The context is irrelevant, I think, but please feel free to bring in the context if you deem it necessary.)

"I'd like to understand whether we can meet all the requirements of that BCP "

For some reason that sounded odd to me, specifically I wondered what in the words "best" "current" "practice" resonates with "requirements." So I went and read 2026 and the operative word there is "guidelines." So, I am curious about why you think BCPs can state requirements that other RFCs should try to meet.

The best I can come up with is that a BCP can record the then IETF consensus on a particular procedure or mode of operation. Further, the BCP process is to be used as "an outlet to propose ideas to stimulate work" or "raise the community's sensitivity to a certain issue" and so on. But it doesn't appear that these things can be hard and fast requirements.

I am probably misunderstanding the notion of BCPs and welcome education :). Thanks.

regards,
Lakshminath